Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Too Much TV Can Be Bad For You

I am ill.
 
I didn't know what it was called until just a few minutes ago.
 
Google has just called me a chain watcher. Yep, it doesn't sound as unhealthy as chain smoking, but believe me, the object of my affection is just as addictive.
 
Since getting Netflix a few months ago, I have been on a rampant binge of Breaking Bad and The House of Cards diet. I've even nibbled on some episodes of Sherlock, House of Lies and Once Upon a Time. I've also been hanging out with Mulder and Scully again and The X-Files is yet again alive in my house.
 
On the recent premiere of Season 2 of The House of Cards in February, I promised myself that I was going to savor each episode each night (like a normal person) and not go on an all gung-ho crazy watching spree. That promise went kaput after tasting the first episode of Season 2. Like a good book, I just couldn't put it down...the remote, I mean. I started on a Friday night and finished the whole season off by Monday morning. It consumed me all weekend but....it was exhilarating! I can't believe they're making me wait an entire year for Season 3.
 
This is what I love/hate about television series. I don't like them being so open-ended. And then you'd have to wait for the next lot to come. I am livid. I know if I don't get something (the next episodes) soon, I'll be hooking myself onto yet another series. And then there'll be more to watch...and wait for. It's a vicious cycle. HEELLLPPPP!!!
 
I wonder if I should sign up for a Chain Watchers Anonymous? God knows I need my series finales for closure.
 
Various series available on Netflix Canada


No comments: