Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Netflix On



I knew it was just a matter of time. After queuing on Boxing Day at Bestbuy and walking away with a smart blu-ray player, I had the sinking suspicion that my membership of Netflix was happening one way or the other.

According to Wikipedia, Netflix Inc. is an American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media available to North and South America, the Carribean, United Kingdom, Northern Europe, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, the Netherlands, and flat rate DVD-by-mail in the United States, where mailed DVDs are sent via Permit Reply Mail.

The first month's subscription is free. Methink this is so that they can reel you in to all the benefits of the system. But there was no "reeling in" required on my part. I was already convinced that I wanted Netflix long before I got the smart blu-ray player. I was just biding my time. "You've gotta get it to get it", as Netflix says. And I got it before I even got it, LOL.

Some people have complained though that the selection and ranges are different from country to country, sometimes a bit unfair between Canada and the US. For example, "Most good series are already available elsewhere, why is it not available in our region?", "Why are there more choices in the US than our region?", etc. etc. Well, I suppose, Netflix is not without its faults, but since I have not been a member for too long (just going on 4 months now), the variety still seems endless to me.

After the first 30 days are up, the monthly subscription becomes $7.99 monthly (at the time of going to press, circa April 2014). Termination of services seemed easy enough with just an email stating so and the immediate disconnection occurs at the end of your billing cycle (which is normally within a month).

All you simply need is a smart device (it can be a TV, PC, mobile, table, etc.) and an internet connection.

For a list of supported devices, check out Netflix on Wikipedia. For Netflix sign up, visit their page. So far I haven't been disappointed.

No comments: