Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Movie Vending Machines

Redbox location outside
It is a sad day indeed. Just when I was getting the hang of it, Redbox Canada has just announced a few weeks ago that it is closing shop in Canada. In fact, this week marks the last week to return any outstanding DVDs back.

It was really a novelty while it lasted. I've never seen anything quite like it. I suppose, with these words, I am proclaiming that I am some kind of hillbilly who's out of touch with technology...but I just can't seem to get over renting videos through a vending machine.

Of course, it's not as far-fetched an idea as I make it out to be. It's been around for decades. I imagine that is probably why there are no more video rental places around. They have all been automated with these machines.

As mentioned, the company in Canada that actually rented out videos this way was called Redbox Canada. And as you guessed it, the vending machines looked like giant red boxes. They were located in specific locations, with no preference of being outside or inside under a roof.

Renting at the Redbox was much like going up to a vending machine and making your choice. Once you've made your selection, the Redbox machine will spurt out your chosen movie. It was that easy. And that convenient.

It's really a shame. Feels like some kind of digital era is ending.

For Redbox US, visit their website.

No comments: