Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Childhood Games

Missy with a Nintendo GameCube

Guess there may be hope yet. Ageing could all just be in my mind indeed. There's no such thing as being too old for the next generation. After all these years, we seem to be playing the same old games, don't we?

On a recent visit to the dentist's office, my youngest thought it best to use her waiting time, playing with a computer game that was at the reception foyer.

As I watch her play and focus all her attention on the game, it reminded me of my own silly obsession as a young child with the Nintendo game console.

Sure, Mario and Luigi (the Mario Bros.) were not in sight. And she was actually busy playing with Alex the Lion and the rest of the Madagascar gang.

But somehow, with her playing there ever so intensely, with a Nintendo GameCube, it dawned on me that my childhood was half-filled with days like this where I just sat, trying hard to save the princess in the castle. I had so much fun and contentment when I used to play those games at her age. Life was so simple as an 11-year-old.

Who would've thought that a Nintendo game could make me feel so nostalgic and so connected to my child at the same time?

No comments: