Thursday, July 3, 2014

Writer's Workshop: The Graduate

The graduate


Prompt #4 - Share your top favourite photo you took in June. Give us the back story.

The day has finally arrived....I am no longer a mother of a high-schooler. I graduated and have now become the next level, whatever that is. A mother of a university learner? I'm feeling kinda tired and old just by saying that.

It seems like it's no biggie, but in true honesty, I am feeling blessed and very, very proud. I know, I know....graduating high school is definitely my child's momentous milestone, not mine. But as a parent, you can't begrudge me for equating her achievements as me doing my parental obligation correctly somehow?

I can't help it. In the past, I've had some serious doubts about my motherly skills from time to time, wondering if I'm doing the right thing by her, by them (if you have not followed the blog, I have 2 kids by the way)...

As a mother, am I disciplining them enough? Am I too lenient? Too harsh? Too crazy? Am I setting a good example? (No?) Are they learning what they should? (Probably?) Am I the right guide? And on and on and on. I'm not the perfect mom, but this graduation is certainly a nod in the right direction that I'm doing some things right, at least.

I do not wish to take away anything from her hard work and dedication. Today is a celebration of her success. This accomplishment is all hers. She did it all and she did her best. For me, it is just a proud mama moment of my child, the graduate.

This is my photo share for Mama Kat's today. I personally love the photo because...well, it's exactly like what I said above. And that which rarely happens, getting a gazillion likes for it did not hurt either.

Mama’s Losin’ It

2 comments:

Crissy said...

What a great milestone and accomplishment!

KatBouska said...

She's beautiful!! I can only hope and pray that when my kids get there I'll have the same sentiments of success and a little relief as they take off on the next leg of their journey!