Thursday, June 26, 2014

Writer's Workshop: The Fabulous Five

Prompt #5 - Talk about a club from your childhood you belonged to (or wanted to belong to)

To say that my childhood was uneventful is truly an understatement. I actually feel like I've suffered amnesia somewhere along the line because I can't recall much about my life as a kid. Or maybe it's just old age. After all, this is some 25 years ago we're talking about and the memory, she certainly ain't all there anymore.

It's really a wonder that I even remember any of this.

When I was around 9, 10, 11 maybe, I was part of a secret club in elementary school. We called ourselves The Fabulous Five because there were 5 of us in the group - Sam, Burns, Joyce, Char and me. We came together because we were adventurers and explorers (much like what Dora is now).

The 5 of us would meet everyday before our afternoon classes started. We'd regularly go around the school "investigating". Sometimes we'd sit by the stairs and talk and mull things over. Other times we'd draw characters and make imaginary stories of our adventures and staple the sheets of paper together to make booklets. We'd swap these self-made comic books with each other. (This is probably when I started loving telling stories. Blogging kindergarten :-)). I don't recollect much about the stories or what we investigated, but I remember being happy and looking forward to being with my circle of friends all the time.

After that, high school happened. I lost touch with them. It's kinda sad because we were all still in the same school, just different paths, I guess.

It's really a long time ago. These days I often reminisce these scenes in my head of our secret club meetings and the sense of belonging just engulfs me...I wonder where my fellow adventurers are now?
 
The Fabulous Five according to me
 
This is the first time in years that I've picked up a pen and drew my comic characters again. This post is in honour and memory of the members of The Fabulous Five, or however much I can remember of the club. It was not even a real school club per se...but it was real enough for the child in me.

Mama’s Losin’ It

4 comments:

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I would have loved to be in the Fabulous Five, though I suppose it would have involved a name change - the Sensational Six? Have you ever tried looking any of them up on Facebook?

Unknown said...

This sounds like so much fun. Unfortunately I wasn't very adventurous as a child, that I can remember anyways. Stopping by from Mama Kat's. You can find me at www.simplyhaleywebb.blogspot.com

Emily said...

I love your cartoon! I agree with the above commenter, how about Facebook? Glad we met through Mama Kat's!

KatBouska said...

It's so interesting to me how we can just drift away from peopl we had so much in common with at one time in our life. I suppose all of our friends serve their purpose for us.