Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Silent Celebrant


My eldest child gave me these gifts...
I don't know when it stopped but I can't recall when last I threw a birthday bash.

I'm pretty sure that I celebrated quite a bit when I was young (before I hit puberty), like maybe about 5 times, but by the time I was in my teens, I had already forgotten what the meaning of the word "party" was. I probably had 2 celebrations in my teens (17, 18). Maybe once in my 20s and once in my 30s?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I don't mind not throwing a big celebration. Sometimes I like the quietness that gives me time to reflect at reaching this milestone in my life. I normally have a little lunch or dinner or both with my immediate family on the day, and that is enough for me. I consider these small intimate celebrations my best birthdays ever.

Being the silent celebrant that I am, I never confirm when my real birth date is. I normally get greetings from my friends all throughout the week. Some remember, some don't....but all good wishes are welcome. I'll graciously accept gifts for me as well, if you have any :-) I've learnt that this way, I seem to be having a birth-week instead of a birthday.

I also had a very humbling and funny experience with my youngest daughter on my birthday this year. My youngest and I were at the mall, shopping, and I asked her to greet me (for my birthday). To which she quips, "Hello, mommy." And that was that. My greeting. Serves me right for thinking I was so important to her that she'd remember my birthday, LOL....

But now that I'm fast approaching another decade, maybe I should plan a big one to last me till the next decade. What do you think?

No comments: