Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Newcomer Stories: More Job Hunting Experiences Within Canada

Didn't quite realise that by the time I posted part 1 of my job hunting experiences within Canada, I'll be finished with my second job hunt.
 
It's a shame that most newcomers encounter the problem of not having Canadian experience to be on the same playing field as the rest of the job force. I think I've mentioned that unless you're some kind of wonderful in your line of work, that the competition is stiff and fierce. Not to say, of course, that you should just give up and go home. It's more to say that you need to double your hard work and perseverance.

I did just that. Or I think I did.

After getting my first Canadian job at the start of the year and starting my Canadian experience meter, it didn't take me long to figure out that I've become marketable as soon as I got off the unemployment line. I wasn't in the best of jobs but being a newcomer, getting paid sure beats getting nothing. I continued giving my best to my company although I was on the prowl for a more suitable job.

And what do you know? I found an ad listed on LinkedIn. Now you will remember that I've had a previous slightly hit-and-miss experience with LinkedIn. But I still had faith. I surged on. I emailed my resume off to the address mentioned. There was nothing to lose on my part.

And by the next few weeks, I had a phone interview, 2 face-to-face interviews and a job offer at the end of it all. I was thrilled and happy. It was another adventure waiting for me.

No comments: