Monday, March 14, 2011

VTT Postcard - Day 7 AM - Munich, Germany

In the morning, we were dropped off in the middle of Munich at Marienplatz and our TM handed us over to another tour guide. An American named Rob who had been in Munich for the last year guiding tourists (like us) through the city. His tour was presented in a very fast-paced way and so we lost some of the people in our group who had wandered off shopping.

I stayed with Rob where he told us tales of history and showed us the following places: Bavarian Opera House (now this is the real Opera House), the Munich Residenz (the royal residence), the Theatine Church, the Field Marshalls’ Hall (where Hitler made a lot of public speeches), Hofgarten, and the Bavarian House of Government.
Bavarian House of Government
The Marienplatz, where the Contiki meeting place was gonna be, was filled with Christmas market. Meaning a lot of people selling a lot of different things. Woo hoo! Shopping! I decided to pick up some tops and socks.

Also, I thought I could do without any facial care but at the rate that the weather was going, my face was dying for moisturizer as it really felt like my nose was gonna fall off from dryness. So I picked up a few toiletries as well.

All in all, a good shopping day in Munich. Although I felt it was really a very short time to explore the city. Before I knew it, it was time to go.

As we were leaving, the Glockenspiel rang through the place. What a lovely goodbye from an unforgettable city!
Glockenspiel
P.S. I also found out that the Disney castle (yes, the one used at the start of every Disney movie) was located near Munich. The Neuschwanstein Castle was designed and commissioned to be built by King Ludwig II. Due to time constraints, we were unable to visit this attraction but this will obviously be something that I’ll have to come back to Munich and see.

No comments: