Thursday, October 28, 2010

Facing The Sun And Letting The Warmth In

I am a ray of sunshine. I am a beam of light.

Everybody who knows me will tell you that I am an eternal optimist.

I have never been one to believe in negativity. I think too much pessimism actually drags a person down to oblivion. Much like positivity breeds itself, negativity does as well.

I will admit that life is not always rosy. But I’ve learnt early on to never surround myself with too much doom and gloom that it can swallow me whole….while I’m still alive. Of course, I am not saying that it has never happened to me. I have had my fair share of setbacks. There was even one time recently when my optimism had been truly tested.

It was a work situation and the year was the year of the recession. Jobs were scarce and times were hard. I will not go into deeper detail (because

(a) I think just blog-thinking about it already brings a certain dark cloud on my post and

(b) I will just sound like a disgruntled ex-employee, of which I am not and

(c) this blog is my washline and I don’t wanna be airing their dirty laundry here),

Suffice it to say that it is hard to positiv-ise (yo, new word) people when they are trying their darnedest to stay negative about their situations. And what was astonishing and scary was how easy it was for me to empathise and start feeling the same way. My energy was constantly zapped!

In the end, I accepted that I no longer fit into the greater scheme of things. And short of overhauling my core being, the only solution was for me to remove myself from the undermining situation. Hence, I became the ex-employee…the better-off, much relieved, healthier ex-employee.

Some will probably say that it is a coward’s way out. But I believe that your priority is to be what you truly are. It’s hard to be anything else. The decision I’ve made is not for everyone else. That was my leap of faith and so I believed in it….and took it.

What I liked is that the experience taught me a lesson.

What I didn’t like was that the experience changed me. A lot.

People failed me, you see. And that is the sad thing. The blind faith can never be reclaimed.

It has been over a year now and I can feel that surrounding myself with all things plus (+), plus (+), plus (+) has done me extremely well. I am attracting what I want to have in my life - +++ :-)

I am still a ray of sunshine. I am still a beam of light. Everybody who knows me well enough will tell you that I am an eternal optimist….most of the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mama's Losin' ItThis positively-charged post was empowered by Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop, prompt #5: “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow” – Helen Keller. In what ways are you able to stay positive about something that sometimes brings you down?

5 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

This post reminds me of the song we used to sing as kids: "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam." Here are the words:
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
To shine for him each day.
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
At home, at school, at play.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I'll be a sunbeam for Him!

Ah, I still remember it! Being positive is crucial to good health too!

Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's my link if you get a chance to visit by: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/10/historical-event-i-would-like-to-have.html

Anonymous said...

I don't think people "fail" really... well, they do... but they have there own world going on in their head. We can't view it, so we don't know.

Many people don't know any better... anything else. They were raised that way and surrounded that way. You have to either love them anyways... or move on. I had to end a few friendships for the same reason. Bringing me down. And it does seem, you become who you surround yourself. I'm glad to hear you are still a beam of sunshine!!!!

Dumb Mom said...

We need more positive people like you in life. Helps cancel out those of us who are negative for sport:)

Dominique said...

I think it is great that you managed to extract yourself from a negative environment. It's always good to surround yourself with the positives.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that people would describe you as the 'eternal optimist'. Being a more positive person is something I work at constantly. It's funny tho, how quickly positivity is undermined when you are surrounded by negative people.
Stopped in from Mama Kat's.